FragFX Shark 360
The last time I really enjoyed console games was on the SNES and Genesis. Being a PC gamer, I had very little interest in Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3, so it wasn’t until about a year ago that I finally broke down and bought a 360. It was an impulsive purchase because a price cut had just disappeared. instead. The first game I tried was the Kane & Lynch 2 demo. What a mess that was. The demo gets you straight to the nitty-gritty and lasted a couple seconds per reboot.
My Xbox 360 remained relatively unused until the launch of the Mass Effect 2 demo, which is when I decided to give it a try again. I couldn’t move, couldn’t aim, and Shepard looked like a complete idiot wallowing awkwardly unable to get out of the first room. My pathetic display on Bulletstorm was when I decided that the 360 was only good for puzzle and platformer games.
Not being able to play console shooters is a common complaint for PC gamers. I think you need to be a console kid, raised with a controller in hand, to really understand it. I’m sure you can see where I’m going with this. I tried Splitfish’s FragFX Shark 360 and can now magically play FPS games on the 360. My platform of choice will remain PC for the unpredictable future, but my Xbox 360 no longer feels so limited.
The FragFX Shark 360 comes in 3 pieces: the dongle, the mouse, and the fragchuck.
- Wireless mouse and fragchuck, each one takes one AA battery.
- Fully plug and play, you just have to configure the mouse and the aiming sensitivity.
- Can be used with PC. It helps justify the cost and actually works quite well on PC.
- The headset can still be used for multiplayer games by connecting the computer to your wired Xbox 360 controller.
- The mouse and fragchuck can be customized both in and out of the game.
- It comes with a large mouse pad that can be used on your lap, on the couch, on the head of your loved ones, or wherever you want to put it.
- The separate aiming sensitivity dial allows for greater precision.
- The shark is available in some retail stores (like Walmart).
- You need a wired controller for Xbox 360 to use FragFX Shark. The Shark itself is wireless, but the controller must be connected to the unit independently.
- The mouse is quite large. It’s no bigger than the average gaming mouse, but unless you have big man’s hands, you’ll have trouble reaching some of the buttons. Fortunately, you can set the bindings in a way that you won’t need to use any keys that your chubby little sausage fingers can’t reach.
- The included dongle will not connect to the back of the Xbox 360 because the enclosure around it is too thick. You have to use a front port.
- The left and right mouse buttons seem a bit tight.
- The $ 80 price tag.
The FragFX Shark 360 doesn’t just do what it says and claims to do, it does it very well.
From the Splitfish site:
The FRAGFX SHARK 360 is a major step forward for the console gaming industry because it not only provides a near-perfect FPS experience, similar to a PC mouse for gamers on the XBOX 360, but also provides a stick counterpart. fully programmable, high-end, and easy-to-adopt analog that make it possible for PC FPS fans to enjoy their favorite shooting games on XBOX 360, MAC or PC.
The Splitfish FRAGFX SHARK 360 lets you play FPS games on a console the way they were originally designed to be played, PLUS MORE. With the FRAGFX SHARK 360, you can intuitively point with a mouse and adjust sensitivity on the fly, as well as use advanced features like button remapping, turbo, melee wrist movement and much more with ease.
The FRAGFX SHARK 360 is optimized for FPS shooters, but it also has all the functions of a normal XBOX 360 controller, so it can be used for all games. Gamers don’t have to go through complex procedures for button mapping or sensitivity adjustments, the FRAGFX SHARK 360 is designed for simple and intuitive customization on the fly. Also, like its brother, the FRAGFX SHARK, the FRAGFX SHARK 360 has a super long battery life of 50 hours of playtime and 500 hours of standby time on 2 AA batteries.
- Play with the mouse on the XBOX 360 as you would on a PC
- Plug and play
- Full support for XBOX 360, PC and MAC
- NEW 50h + playtime
- NEW 500h + standby energy saving
- 1 AA battery per unit (requires only 2 AA batteries per set, batteries not included)
- Quick access to special functions (e.g. macro, quick shot, button switch, stick switch, etc.)
- New 2.4 GHz wireless technology
- Easy configuration in the controller (no further firmware updates required)
- On-the-fly dead zone adjustment wheel
- SixAxis Support