If your bathroom is cluttered with multi-family cosmetics, half-filled bottles, and grooming tools, it’s time to clean, clean, and turn it into a fresh, green, and rejuvenating space.
First, empty the room and edit all your belongings. That means you will have to sort the similar things together and get rid of duplicates, unused products, and expired drugs and makeup. Be determined to remove everything except the items that you will actually use.
Before loading all the things you need to save in your space, refresh it. You can create a bathroom that is healthy, functional, and enjoyable with color, smart storage, and easy-to-clean surfaces. Start at the top and work your way down to ground level.
- The ceiling – While you may not spend a lot of time looking at your ceiling, don’t overlook it.
- Painting – If it has been a while since you painted this space, renew it with a new coat of VOC-free interior ceiling paint. And, if you have roof vents that look a bit dirty, take them out, wash them, and revive them with low-VOC spray paint.
- Ventilation – A fan in the bathroom will eliminate odors and moisture that can cause mold. So make sure your fan is in good working order. Remove cover, clean and spray cover with low VOC (volatile organic compound) spray paint if necessary.
- Patch – If you have nicks or small holes in the wall, apply a little putty paste to create a smooth surface for painting.
- Cousin – If there are stains, crayon marks or dark paint on your walls, you will want to apply a good quality primer before painting. Special low VOC stain removal primers will ensure stains do not seep through the top coat. Additionally, they will provide a more even finish and reduce the number of top coats required. Smart Tip: Primer generally costs less than paint, so use it to lower your overall paint cost.
- Painting – Choosing a color for your walls is where you can express your individual style. That said, it’s a good idea to avoid a dark color, as it can distort the reflections in the mirror and cause you to apply too much makeup. Another important consideration is the type of paint to use. Select a semi-gloss or kitchen and bathroom paint. This type of paint is easy to clean and resists mold. As a final point, there are many low-VOC or non-VOC color options available.
- vanity – A spacious vanity is a real bonus. You can store each family member’s toiletries in a handy organizer, put away clean towels, and no one will notice. Smart Tip: Converting an old dresser to a dresser is a smart way to go green. If it’s not on the cards to buy a new dresser, apply a new coat of paint to your existing dresser and add new accessories for an updated look.
- Medicine – The medicine cabinets are the ideal space to corral medicines and unexpired remedies for: headaches, cuts, burns, coughs, colds, etc. Modern medicine cabinets aren’t just functional, they’re almost wall art. They are available in a variety of styles and shapes and you can even get one with fog-proof mirrors. If you want to use your current medicine cabinet and it has a wood or laminate door, update it by painting it the same soft color you use on the walls.
- Lavatory – You can buy a low flow toilet for about $ 200.00 or if you need to work with your existing model, put a 1 liter plastic bottle (filled with stones) in the tank and you will get the same results. Smart Tip: Make sure your toilet is not leaking and avoid using it as a trash can, both of which are a huge waste of water.
- Shower head – Convert your shower head to a low-flow model; Prices range from $ 10.00 to $ 50.00. This change will reduce the amount of water you use without affecting performance. Smart Tip: A bathroom uses more water than a short shower.
- Faucet – Get a low flow faucet aerator, they are easy to install and can be purchased for $ 3.00 to $ 10.00. The device mixes air with water to reduce the amount of water used. Look for one that is rated at 2.75 gpm (gallons per minute) or less.
- Linoleum – One of the most durable, economical and environmentally friendly flooring options is linoleum. It is made primarily from linseed oil and comes in hundreds of color options. While it’s available in both tile and sheet, stick with sheets of linoleum, as tile can appear in corners.
- Vinyl – A cost effective way to give your floor an updated look is to buy some of the new peel and stick vinyls. It is easy to install, you can do it yourself, and save on labor cost. In addition, it can be placed on a variety of existing materials. This product is available in 12-inch and 18-inch squares, allowing for color and pattern mixing. Cleaning is a breeze, just wipe it off with a damp cloth or mop.
- Tile – This product is beautiful, durable and easy to care for. If you decide to buy it, be sure to select a tile that is moisture-proof and non-slip. Installation ranges from easy to challenging, so keep that in mind in your decision making.
- Wall hooks – Assemble one for each family member so they can hang up their wet robe or towel after showering. Even the little ones will be able to use this tool without help.
- Shelving – When cabinet storage is not enough, go vertical and install wall shelves. If possible, reuse the old wood you have in the garage. Then buy a basket for each person, label it with their name, and corner their toiletries.
- Above the door hook shelf – This handy organizer comes with up to 6 hooks. Just slide it over the door; It will not interfere with the closing of the door. This device easily captures any type of clothing.
- Pocket Shower Curtain – This ingenious device does double duty. It is a shower curtain and has pockets to store things. The shower curtain can be used as a liner or as a standalone curtain, plus the pockets can look in or out of the shower. This item is ideal for keeping beauty products and bath toys within easy reach. Smart Tip: If you plan to buy a decorative shower curtain, look for one made from hemp, as it resists mold.
- Adjustable shower trolley – Simplehuman makes a nifty unit that sits above the shower head and has two shelves that move up and down and side to side to accommodate tall bottles. This cart holds a large quantity of product, plus the bottles can be stored upside down for easy dispensing.
Follow the tips above and you will find that a serene and tidy bathroom with energy-saving devices doesn’t have to be a dream.